GROUP FITNESS LEADER STEP SPECIALTY (SFL)
All programs are open to FNB members.
FNB membership must be current to continue with any specialty courses and subsequent certification.
Pre-requisite: Exercise Theory
Take it up a “Step”. Step Aerobics is a fun way to help participants reach their fitness goals. This weekend course provides the knowledge and practical skills required to lead safe, effective and motivating group fitness classes using a variety of choreographed and athletic movements on the Step.
Course Content includes:
- Introduction to Group Exercise
- Evolution of Group Fitness
- Core Concepts in Class Design
- Music Fundamentals
- Warm up and Stretching Principles
- Cardiorespiratory Conditioning
- Customizing Group Exercise Classes
- Basic Safety considerations
- Basic on Floor Choreography
- Step Choreography
- Technique and Safety
- Basic Muscular Conditioning
- Music Considerations and Guidelines
- Cueing Methods
Course Materials: The required companion book “Methods of Group Exercise Instruction” Third Edition by Carol Kennedy-Armbruster and Mary M. Yoke is purchased on your own and is available through Human Kinetics (HK) or Amazon.
If you purchase through HK using an account you will receive a 15% discount.
This book is available in both a print version (before discount $113.95) ISBN 9781450421898
or; as an online version (before discount $64.95) ISBN 9781450471794. Plus HST & Shipping.
– Go to the website humankinetics.com
– Click on My Account
– Create an account if you do not have one (it is free)
– Find your book and order.
We are sorry, at this time there are no Step courses scheduled, if you have an interest please contact the office firstname.lastname@example.org
SFL – Scope of Practice
The Fitness NB SFL is certified to:
- Lead a safe, effective and appropriate floor-based land group *exercise class using the Step in order to meet the needs of the participants.
- Lead exercise groups that are based on Fitness NB standards and NFLA guidelines.
- Lead participants in the following choreographed cardio based class formats mainly on the step** according to identified or implied needs of the participants: High, moderate and or low, combination moves that include; non-contact martial arts type movements, basic functional moves and any actions that may mimic ethnic or cultural inspired style of movements such as, but not limited to those expressed in North America, South America, India, Africa, Asia and Europe.
- Incorporate the use of appropriate equipment based on identified or implied needs of the participants.
- Use Canada’s Food Guide to Healthy Eating, Canada’s Physical Activity Guide to Healthy Active Living, and the PAR-Q+.
- Lead participants that are apparently healthy.
* A group is defined as a leader facilitated exercise session with more than one person.
** It is noted that for some people the use of the floor may be utilized instead of the step during a step class.
The certifications of Fitness NB are nationally recognized and transferable across Canada.
In some cases additional evaluations may apply.